Monday, November 30, 2009

The Negative Side of the Imagination

Just a quick thought...

I was thinking about how I really would like to go on a solo camping trip some day, but the only problem is that I would probably get really scared at night. There's monsters and shit, you know? Seriously though, it'd be scary to have to get out of the tent at night and pee in the woods.

Isn't it interesting, though? The only thing that would stop me from an amazing experience is what's in my mind. Monsters conjured up by me, by my consciousness.

Kind of like society. All that prevents us from being open and talking with other people as ourselves is this idea in our head that they'll think we're annoying or weird and judge us. But when we try to be something else, it only makes us more annoying.

Certainly, like being afraid of the dark, being afraid in society has its roots. Predators that lurk around at night, the brain preparing to sprint in case of an attack. People (including myself) making fun of each other, talking behind each other's backs and judging.

But it's mostly all in the head. Maybe one day we can overcome that.

-Andrew

No comments:

Followers