Friday, August 6, 2010

Hueston Woods

I went to Hueston Woods with my friend Stephen (no one else could go) and met up with Robby. It was sort of a covert camping trip. We got to the park and started getting lost, but luckily saw Robby walking down the street.

We got our campsite bought and all set up, and walked over to a beach they had at the park. It was an artificial beach and the lake was formed as the result of a dam, but it was still very fun.


We stripped down and floated about in the water, and there were pockets of refreshing coldness and strange warmth. We floated around for a while, until we decided to get out, dry off, and hike around.


We followed a trail starting by a field beside the shore into a forest. There, we went off trail and followed a stream, and we were hiking for quite a while. At one point we ducked underneath a bridge, emerging into a sunlit spot on the stream that glowed magically.

After hiking for a while, we made our way back to the campsite by hiking down the road. It was a good time, and Robby talked about these hikers from a commune he had met outside of his dance/exercise studio. Apparently this guy and girl had met at the commune and were hiking somewhere (I forget where to) for days. So Robby had talked them up and invited them in the studio for some water and such, and he drove them a few minutes closer to where they were trying to reach. The guy hugged him in the end.


Robby said it was cool, but he was wondering about that lifestyle, since you don't give anything to society, but rather take from society. This got me thinking: While I do think one should be self-sufficient more or less if they're going to make a journey like that, what most people consider respectable turns out to be the most parasitic of society there is. Businessmen, marketers, investors, etc. What do they do other than rob us of our money, pollute our minds and pollute our lands? Surely that is more parasitic than simply asking for some food from a fellow human being. Hell, I would welcome a traveler happily!

Well, we kept walking down the road, and along the way, found some wild concord grapes. I tested them out first and confirmed they were edible. They were really delicious, actually.


We finally got back to the campsite and picked some blackberries. We got some food out but then decided to drive to Walmart (rugged, I know) to get more food. We bought some mini bagels, some pizza rolls, some meat, and other things.

Stephen had the brilliant idea of using blackberries as a jam for the morning. For now, though, we cooked some flat bread, some hotdogs, some veggie burgers, etc. We also made a pie using the dough I brought with blackberries and marshmallow (should've used the cream cheese, too, though). It was delicious.

Before and After:

So we ate and had a good time, and met a hippie guy but only for a short while. After we ate Robby promptly went into his tent and fell asleep. Stephen went into our tent and did the same, so I went in and wrote in my journal.

We awoke around 7:00am. I woke up to a strange feeling in my head that turned out to be Stephen poking me with a stick. Haha.


We got everything packed up and headed to the beach again and climbed some trees and waded around. It was completely empty.

Then we drove to the lodge and hiked some trails near it. We went all through the forest and talked about various things. Afterwards, we decided it was about time to head out. We went to a diner and grabbed some delicious food to eat, and my mom called and got mad that I wasn't home from "the sleepover" yet.

I became very anxious and nervous at this, and began pondering, why is it that some things we look back at and laugh about are things that, at those times, we take so seriously?

Well, thankfully, when I got home there was no yelling or trouble to be had. I only wish I had foreseen that so I could've enjoyed that lunch we got.

Anyway, before we left, I hugged Robby, and then we drove our separate ways.

No comments:

Followers